Monday, February 7, 2011

The Write Time.

The truth is blogging is difficult for me.

Finding enough brief words to fill up a page and try and keep it interesting is not exactly easy for someone like me. You see, I write books. They are long, involved books for kids of all ages. They consist of picture books, and independent readers, but I have piles of ideas that I am constantly putting down on paper and holding on to until a later date. My ultimate goal is in getting one (or all) of these books published.
But getting your book published is not as easy as it sounds.

I am so often asked by people my book has been published yet (I have written 5 and I’ve been at this for nearly five years) AND THE ANSWER IS NO. In truth, the first book I wrote I was in such a hurry to get finished that I got it done, half-heartedly searched for spelling errors and grammar misuse, and sent it out. The characters were predictable, the plot was far too complicated, and the story was just ok. I can say that now, because I am more than a little embarrassed that my work went out in such a state.

It’s the truth. At the time, I thought my words were brilliance, as most writers do. At the time, I thought the publishers were crazy not to jump at the chance to publish my words, and that I was going to be the next J.K. Rowling.

When no one did take an interest, (I had two publishing companies ask to see the book, then politely reject it, and one agent show interest and then reject it) I realized I must have gone wrong somewhere. I took these rejections to heart.

So, back to the drawing board I went.

I signed up for creative writing classes, and found that the reason I was rejected, was because I knew nothing at all. There are rules to be followed and I made so many mistakes that marked me as an armature from writing my own copy write at the top of the page, to the way I wrote my query letter. So I started from scratch on these books, and to this day I continue to work on them.

Why did I bother if no one wanted them at first? Simple. I love it. I just love it.

There is no greater sound than my fingers plinking away at the keys as ideas burst from my own imagination and come to life on the page. Every character profile, every pain-staking word I choose helps me to define the success I hope to achieve some day. When the words are right, it’s a marvelous day- when they aren’t, well, I just try again tomorrow. It is as simple as that. I have learned through the process that sometimes it is best to step back, and reproach with fresh eyes. The words will come, they always do.

Do I still want to be the next J.K. Rowling?

No. I’d settle for just being me, able to earn a living doing something I love so very much…but if it did happen, wouldn’t that be something?

No comments:

Post a Comment