Monday, May 2, 2011

Thanks Guys.

This weekend I went to Ohio for a family reunion for my Husband Ben. It was so wonderful seeing everyone, especially my nieces and nephews. Now, I have three nephews on my side of the family, and in a week or so I’ll meet my very first niece. I’m very excited to spend time with her- she will be a little sister to Rufus and Franklin. Who could ask for two better big brothers?

We only have boys on my side of the family, but for Ben’s the opposite’s true. His sister Chris has a son and two daughters, and Shannon has two girls. I don’t see them often because Chris’ family lives in Ohio, and Shannon’s in Wisconsin. However, when I do, I always enjoy spending time with them.

This weekend made me realize how very different boys are from girls. The way they talk, the way they play- even the way they interact with one another is different. My younger nieces love Justin Bieber, Barbie dolls, princesses and sparkly things that are pink and borderline tacky. The more frills the better! This is just adorable, but I felt a bit lost playing with them. Especially after coloring a princess picture because I gave her blue skin and green hair and said she was an Avatar princess. I thought it was funny. A similar snafu happened to me while playing Barbies with my niece Jenna. I was Mulan, she was Snow white and here’s what our conversation was like:

Jenna: We’re swimming in a beautiful waterfall, laying in the sunshine on the rocks.

Me: Ok, Mulan is swimming too- she caught a fish. Let’s eat if for dinner!

Jenna: (horrified face) Yuck.

Now, I laughed so hard at that face she made, but I had clearly forgotten how to play like a little girl. Having Mulan catch a fish seemed logical to me. It was native to her diet; she grew up in a small village where fish was a staple. She was a tough and independent girl, Mulan. She seemed like the type to catch and cook her own fish to me. I was apparently wrong about this. The Avatar coloring page solidified my belief that I am in fact much better at playing with boys than girls, but it got me to thinking. Was I that way? Did I love girly stuff and princesses and frills when I was little?

I remember loving bows, doing my hair and nails and playing dress-up, and Barbies were my favorite toy, hands down. I played with Barbie for countless hours with my cousin Sarah. We also loved to play a game we called- boyfriends. Some of my happiest memories are of playing Barbies with Sarah, yet, my memories of that are fuzzy.

So what do I remember? Playing guns in the backyard with my brother’s Matt and Jeff, my cousin's Markie and Kevin, and Jeff’s best friend Mark then eventually when she was older, my sister Whittney joined us. We would be on teams and stage the most elaborate battles. I played Dungeon’s and Dragon’s with Jeff and Mark, Magic the Gathering and Superhero dice games and read comic books. I spent time playing video games with my younger brother Matt and my sister Whittney (8 years younger than I). I played kick ball, wiffle ball, and football in the street and in the back yard. We loved to pretend we were the Dukes of Hazard, Cops and Robbers, and Cowboys and Indians. I played Barbie meets GI Joe, and with Hot Wheels in the sandbox. I loved flash-light tag and catching lightning bugs and snakes.

These are the memories most dear to my heart. I am so grateful to the boys in my life who have grown into wonderful the men I now call my friends. You all kept me from becoming too girly. You made me appreciate a great comic book, an epic battle in a movie, and a good game of baseball. I have been farted on, burped at, Melvined, nuggied, slugged, received a ‘flying cross body block,’ mocked, teased, been the recipient of a 'dutch oven,' and most of all, loved.

So, I thank you all; even if having my brothers take my hand and fart on it was not my favorite thing in the world, it always made me laugh. (Except for loogies- those are just gross.) I’m proud that I know who all the Avengers are and my husband Ben has to ask me. I’m proud I enjoy watching action flicks and I don’t flinch when a man’s head is chopped off. I’m glad I was the best at playing Sonic the Hedgehog in our house, and that I love to watch Star Trek, Star Wars, Superman, X-Men, GI Joe, and countless other things men enjoy.

With the arrival of my niece so nearby, it is my fervent hope that Franklin and Rufus will be as great to their little sister as the boys in my life were to me. So, Jeff, Matt, Markie, Kevin, and Mark, thanks for all the memories. You are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment