Wednesday, May 11, 2011

At Aunt Charlotte's House.

This past week, I had to stop at my house on Wednesday when Franklin was with me because I had forgotten to take my medicine in the morning before I went to Franklin and Rufus’s house. I had a long talk with Franklin and told him we maybe should not mention we stopped by my house that day because Rufus might be disappointed. Franklin nodded like he understood, and then blabbed the whole thing to Rufus when we picked him up from school.

So, I promised a Thursday Adventure over at my house the next day. The boys showed up bright and early in their PJ’s with big smiles on their faces. Rufus was a bit hesitant when he caught sight of my behemoth of a dog, Sonny. Let me explain my mutt. He is quite large- 110 lbs, and muscular. He is a Lab-Dalmatian mix. He has the face of a lab, and the body of a Dalmatian, complete with a tale that my brother Jeff once described as a whip antenna covered in duct tape. When you are hit by this wagging weapon it stings- and sometimes leaves a welt. My dog will be seven this year, but that means very little. He is still hyper, and very needy. He had separation anxiety as a puppy (diagnosed by the vet, I’m not making this up) and is very attached to me and Ben. He is huge- and the biggest wimp of a dog you’ll ever meet. He is afraid of the following: aerosol cans, lawn mowers, the vacuum cleaner, ducks, squirrels, and he really only likes people- not other animals. In short, he looks scary, but is a big softie.

Sonny barks a lot when he is excited, so when Rufus and Franklin arrived with their Dad, Rufus was a little afraid. After about 10 minutes, he realized his bark is worse than his bite, and they were best friends. Franklin walked in and let Sonny lick his face, then cracked up and put Woobie on Sonny’s head- a big honor.

I had a few things planned for our special day. We have a small park (if you can call a swing set and a moonwalk that) at our condo so I planned on taking them there. Ben has a large collection of Star Wars Lego’s we got out and we have the Star Ways Lego game as well as The Force Unleashed with the light sabers for the Wii. I also have a craft box for when my nieces come over filled with feathers, glitter, glue construction paper- you get the idea. Plus, I’ve got chalk and bubbles for playing outside, and we planned on making cupcakes for snack and pizzas for lunch. I like to pack a ton of stuff into one day.

When Rufus and Franklin got here, the boys made a mad dash for the coffee table covered in Lego. They were so excited because Uncle Ben has the Millennium Falcon- I know, way cool. We played that, and then made the cupcakes in my tiny galley kitchen. Rufus had some funny stuff to say about it.

Rufus: Aunt Char-char, are you telling me this is supposed to be a kitchen?

Me: It is a kitchen. Pretty small, huh?

Franklin: Do you have to eat at that table out there?

Me: Yeah, that’s the dining room.

Rufus: (shaking his head) I don’t know how you do it.

After we made cupcakes, we went outside to throw the Frisbee with Sonny and played Lego again. When it was time to make pizza, I leaned two chairs at opposite end of the counter. I helped each kid with the sauce, and turned my back on Franklin for just a second, only to turn back and find his face covered in sauce.

Me: Did you eat the sauce?

Franklin: Yes. It’s delicious!

Me: (laughing) ok, that’s enough.

Rufus: Wow. It is good.

Me: Ok, let’s just put on the cheese now.

Rufus: Can we just dump it then spread it?

Me: Sure. I don’t care.

Franklin: Mom makes us sprinkle it.

Me: She does? I’m sure that’s the right way to do it, but we’ll just dump.

Rufus: Oh, boy!

After leaving half of one pizza with just cheese, and Franklin eating half the pepperoni (that kid loves meat) we finally had the pizza done and in the oven. My Dad and Jeff joined us for pizza and veggies and dip for lunch, then we finished the rest of the day.

When Franklin and Rufus left, my house was a mess. There were sprinkles, fruity pebbles, and cracker crumbs on the furniture and floor, some of the Lego’s were missing, and the Millennium Falcon was destroyed. Plus, my bed was mussed because we had a pillow fight and I let them jump on it. It didn’t matter though, we had the best time! I taught Rufus how to play video games- Franklin lost interest- and we ate cupcakes and played outside. All in all- it was a great Thursday Adventure over at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment