Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Make-believe.

I have no kids of my own- so I can’t compare Rufus and Franklin to my own. I used to work in a daycare though, and I have to say, the imaginations kids have always inspire me. There are no boundaries, no limits, and nothing is too outlandish for them to come up with. This is something I try to emulate in my own books, and I’m so happy this is something I continue to learn from my nephews.

One of their favorite games is called ‘real life (insert your favorite action hero here, e.g., star wars guys, Lego guys, superhero, etc).’ I usually have to be whoever they tell me to, usually Cap’n Betty (the alligator killing Cajun-Jimmy Stewart sounding character I invented). If we are playing Star Wars, I have to be Wicket, or Yoda. If we are playing superheroes, I have to be Mr. Freeze- apparently he’s my favorite.
Their favorite choices are as follows:

Rufus likes to be Commander Cody, Captain Rex, Luke, or Anakin from Star Wars. For super heroes, he likes being Robin or Spiderman.

Franklin likes to be Batman, in all situations. Batman is Franklin’s hero.

To get around Franklin’s make-believe breech of etiquette, the game is then referred to as ‘Batman meets Star Wars guys in real life.’ Captain Betty can fit into any scenario, because she is just an addendum to whatever game we play for some reason.

Now, in order to take part in these make-believe scenarios, one has to be very patient. I am often told what to say, how to say it, and have to repeat what is said over and over. For example:

Franklin: Ok, first I say, ‘that guy is bad news.’ Then you say, ‘Don’t worry, I’ll take care of him.’ Ok? That’s what you say.

Me: Ok.

Franklin: That Guy is really bad news! (Whispering) Now you say, ‘Don’t worry! I’ll take care of him!’

Me: I’ll take care of him!

Franklin: No, you say, I say, ‘Don’t worry! I’ll take care of him!’

Me: (catching on) Ok. I say, don’t worry! I’ll take care of him!

And then we pretend to shoot the guy, or hit him with a torpedo and he’s destroyed.

Before you even ask, I have no idea why this process is so lengthily. For some reason, it is very important to both Franklin and Rufus that we repeat these same steps each and every time we approach any scenario. Does it make for a slow moving battle? Yes, but it’s a very amusing one.

Franklin very nearly dies (repeatedly) in battle, and then is brought back to life by whoever is closest. He is injured often, stranded places, and in general, wreckless in battle. Franklin seems to enjoy the drama involved in being saved or being brought back to life just inches from HIS IMAGINARY death for no matter how severe his injuries- he recovers from them immediately.

On the other hand, Rufus is terrific in a battle. He is very much how I remember his Dad being when we were kids. He is never hit; you always miss him with your fake bullets. He is never injured because he is just too quick for that. His battle skills are legendary and he has unparallel skill with a light saber, blaster, gun, sling-shot, bomb, grenade and torpedoes. Plus, he is always smarter than anyone else out there.

No matter what.

Once when we were kids, I waited in the loft of our barn with a plastic gun for a half hour as to ambush my older brother during a heated game of cops and robbers. I was certain this was the perfect plan, so I did not mind the wait. I was patient. I was diligent.

When the time finally came, somehow, miraculously, my well aimed immaginary bullet missed him, ricochet off a piece of metal on the wall and killed me instead. I died quickly and painfully in this pretend scenerio.

Playing with Rufus is much the same, but it sure makes for great Thursday Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment