Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DVD review- Ledgend of the Guardians:The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Well, this is my first DVD review, but it seemed like a good idea since last week I did a review of the first book in the Guardian’s of Ga’Hoole series. I will start by saying, this DVD is visually stunning! It was done by Disney, which in my opinion, generally does good work. It is a cartoon of course and I believe it was originally done in 3-D which, after watching the movie, would have been great. My husband and I bought it on blue-ray and it looked so incredible! The detail the animators gave to the owls from their facial expressions, to the color of their feathers was so detailed that they could have been real owls! Soren and Gylfie really came to life on screen, and in just the way I imagined them. The scenery was so incredible too! I mean, the different landscapes were truly breathtaking. At more than one point I said aloud, “Wow! This looks incredible!”

Now on to the bad news. This movie, although well done, is very different from the book. Kludd (Soren’s brother) has a very different role in the movie than he does in the book, that’s for sure. The relationship between Soren and Gylfie (which is central to the plot in the book) is much less emphasized in the movie as well. In the book, it is their friendship that keeps them going, but in the DVD it is the Guardians and the hope that they really exist. Also, the introduction of Twilight and Digger is very different in the books than it is in the DVD, but I did not find this difference to be a bad one.

Also, this movie includes several of the books- I don’t yet know how many, as I have not read them all. I can understand that though, because clumping several of the books together to make the film made it easier to keep the action going in the film.

I enjoyed the movie a lot actually. It was so visually appealing that it was hard not to. If you are a fan of the books, I would most certainly recommend that you see the film and draw your own conclusions. Just remember that it is very different from the books and I think you will like it too: 0)

No comments:

Post a Comment