Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo: By Obert Skye

What a fantastic concept! Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo is a story about a boy, Leven Thumps, who has been transplanted in the human world from a place called Foo. Foo is a secret world that has always existed and gives humans the ability to dream and hope. In Foo, a specific being is given the task of watching over the hopes and dreams of certain humans on Earth. But Foo is in absolute chaos because Sabine, resident Foo bad guy, is trying to find a way to open the gateway from Foo to the human world forever. By opening the door, the residents of Foo could leave their world for good. The result? Humans would no longer be able to dream or hope. This is where Leven Thumps comes in.

Leven is the only one who can stop Sabine from finding the gateway to Foo. In order to do this, he'll need the help of 3 people who have been transplanted to Earth to guide him on his quest: Clover, a tiny creature from Foo, Winter, a girl with a special power and Geth, the heir to the Foo throne. Their job is to not only help Leven on his quest, but to convince him that he can do what is necessary to keep Foo from disappearing forever.

Again, this book was a fantastic concept but parts of it moved a little slow for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it didn't feel congruent. Action sequences moved fast and I was completely wrapped up in the story, but then, the book would slow down to an almost dead pace and I'd have to resist the urge to skip ahead. However, the last quarter of the book was excellent and very exciting.

I'm having trouble deciding if I'd like to read the rest of the books in the series. I may give book two, Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret, a shot then decide if it's worth continuing. It may have been that I liked the concept so much that I then raised my expectations a bit too high and was disappointed. I'm just not sure. Yet, overall, I'd say this was a pretty good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment