Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- by J.K. Rowling

I love these books. Period. I've read all of them at least 30 times, and this is not an exaggeration. In all honesty, the first time I read the books was after I dragged my sister Whittney unwillingly to see the very first HP movie when it came out. I was hooked during the first fifteen minutes of the film when poor Harry Potter drew a picture of a birthday cake in the dirt and blew out the candles. Call me a sucker for hard luck cases, but my heart went out to him. I love a story about the chosen one or a prophecy of any kind. Right after the movie, I raced over to the book store and bought the first three books in paperback and the fourth book, which had just come out, in hardback.

Anyone who has read the books will tell you that the books are far superior to the movies. The books (starting with the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) just get better and better. At first, I tried to write about this series as a whole, but I found it far to difficult. These novels are just to meaty for that kind-of shoddy treatment, so I'll break them down.

One of the things I like most about Rowling is how she describes her characters. There isn't a simple description of he looks like this, or she wears that, instead she uses clever ways to integrate the characters personality and intertwine that with how they look so the reader gets a very clear image of the type of person that character is on the inside and out. I read somewhere that she does a complete history for each character, and in my opinion, it shows.

The first of her novels, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone begins with Harry Potter delivered to his Aunt and Uncle, the Dursley's, when he is just an infant after an attempt was made on his life by Lord Voldmort, Harry's once and future nemesis. Lord Voldemort is the magical worlds equivalent to any number of tyrants that have existed throughout history.

Harry comes to Hogwarts at age eleven where he is introduced for the first time to the wizarding world. As readers, we watch as Harry struggles to learn magic, find a place for himself in this strange new world, and pass his classes without getting into to much trouble. In the course of the school year, Harry and his friends Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger discover someone is trying to steal the Sorcerer's Stone (a magical item that produces the elixir of life and makes the drinker of the elixir immortal). With the help of his friends Ron and Hermione, Harry manages to keep Lord Voldemort from returning to power.

This book is full of imagination and excitement. I would recommend it to any one of any age who likes a good fantasy novel. It is well thought out, well organized, and frankly, fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment