Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Top Must Read Book Series

When I was considering this blog, I thought about dividing the books into categories for boys and girls, but then I realized I would be doing any boys and girls out there reading this blog a disservice. In one of my writing classes, I learned that boys very often will not read stories where a girl is the main character. On the other hand, a girl will read a story where a boy is the main character. Why is this?

I am here to tell you guys- you are missing out on some excellent books because of this. To me, it does not matter if the main character is male or female. What matters is if the book is exciting, if I enjoy it, if it makes me want to keep on reading and if the writing is good. Really, I could list a million other things, but that would be dull so I will just say this; boys out there reading this blog, give a book on this list a shot and see if you like it. You just never know unless you try. Why miss out on something great because of something so silly? A good book is a good book. Period.

This goes for any adults out there who dismiss children’s books because they feel the content is too juvenile for them. There are some excellent books out there you are missing out on because you think you are too old to read them. Reading children’s books is a great way to connect with the kids in your life. I cannot tell you how often my cousins, nieces, and nephews ask me about books or tell me about books they have read. A shared enthusiasm can really bring you closer to them and give you something to talk about.

I had a tough time narrowing down my list of choices. There are so many great books out there, and I wanted to pick books that are engaging, entertaining and worth loosing yourself in. Plus, there are several series out there that held my attention for the first book or two, then I lost interest. The list I compiled consists of book series I absolutly had to read to the end. Here’s what I came up with in no particular order.

1. Harry Potter Series (JK Rowling): As I have mentioned before, I love this series. Harry Potter holds a special place in my heart and I highly recommend these books to anyone of any age who loves to read.

2. The Sisters Grimm Series (Michael Buckley): Boys, this is a great book series about Fairy Tale Detectives. I know, I know, it’s not macho to like fairy tales. But, these are exciting, the bad guys are dangerous and gruesome and the books are just great so please check them out.

3. The Percy Jackson Series (Rick Riordan): Wow! I haven’t done a review of these yet, but they are crazy good books. Mythology, heroes, and a chosen one. How could I not love these?

4. Charlie Bone Series (Jenny Nimmo): These are great because they are so magical. Adults out there, these would be great to read to your kids at night. I tore through the whole series in three weeks. Excellent!

5. Kane Chronicles Series (Rick Riordan): This book series surprised the heck out of me. I did not think Rick Riordan could make two successful series, but he did. I really enjoyed the first book in this series.

6. Inkheart Trilogy (Cornelia Funke): I could not put these down. They were excellent and I’ve never read anything like them.

7. The Bartimaeus Trilogy (Jonathan Stroud): These are dark and intricate stories about magic and strange creatures. These are good books.

8. Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series (Jeff Kinney): These are easy for kids just starting out to read and they are just plain funny. These are another great series parents can read with their kids.

Well, those are my top series choices. I would have picked 10, but I didn't have a top 10, just a top 8. I do plan on reading some other series soon that I may or may not add to this list. The Guardians of Ga’ Hoole and The Spiderwick Chronicles are among a few I have in mind, so I’ll let you know if they make it on the list or not. In the mean time, please check out something new and remember to read something different because you just might like it =)

No comments:

Post a Comment